“Looking at diversity at a deeper level … as a values system, as a thought process, as perspective … this is what will move us forward as a society together.”
Amel Murphy is the Co-Founder and Director of Sustain Leadership, which is a boutique Leadership, Change and Innovation consulting firm. Her clients include FTSE100 companies, Public Sector Leaders and Social Entrepreneurs.
Before building her own consulting business, Amel had an 18 year career working for large multinationals, with 8 years of experience as an Executive in the O&G industry. In this episode, Amel shares a powerful story about how she experienced a very tough time of uncertainty in her life and how she broke through to start fresh with a new vision of what success looks like, both professionally and personally.
Enjoy the show!
Posted on February 5, 2018
- 3:30 – Having a foundation of contributing to the community around us
- 5:15 – A passion for learning, but not for school
- 7:00 – Reactions to a woman working on an oil rig site
- 9:00 – The importance of having a supporting family to make free choices
- 10:45 – Failing is when you fail yourself, not other’s expectations
- 11:45 – The trap of having a big Title
- 13:00 – The trigger that pushed Amel to moving out of the Corporate world
- 15:00 – Starting something new and resisting the urge to fall back on old ways
- 16:30 – Exploring how organizations can more effectively develop their talent
- 18:00 – If you want to tip a system, you have to create critical mass
- 18:45 – What is the definition of a successful intervention for a company?
- 19:00 – Explaining the SustainLeadership business model and approach
- 21:45 – How a consulting business grows over time
- 24:15 – How Diversity and Inclusion have become more important issues
- 27:15 – Relating the impact of Diversity on important business KPI’s
- 29:30 – Choosing to collaborate with partners that add value to the process
- 31:45 – Development of senior female leadership in business
- 36:30 – How LeanIn Circles provide environments for women to grow together
- 38:00 – Creating TheLink, a mentorship program for women
- 41:30 – A Call For Action to create a holistic platform for women’s development
- 45:00 – How Amel stays energized and engaged without burning out
- 48:15 – What does it mean to be a good “forgoer”?
- 50:30 – What Amel would put on the SZR Billboard as a message to the UAE
- 53:15 – What advice would Amel give to her 20-year-old self